If, after using the online Screening Tool, you think you may qualify for health care coverage under Medicaid, FAMIS, or Plan First, please apply using one of the methods listed below.
- Call the Cover Virginia Call Center at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590) to apply on the phone Mon - Fri: 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and Sat: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Apply online at www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
- Complete an online application at the Health Insurance Marketplace: www.healthcare.gov
- Mail or drop off a [PDF] paper application (English) - [PDF] paper application (Spanish) to your local Department of Social Services (Mailing may take longer than other methods of applying). Find your nearest local Department of Social Services by visiting www.dss.virginia.gov/localagency
- Call the Virginia Department of Social Services Enterprise Call Center at 1-855-635-4370 (If you also want to apply for other benefits)
You should have the following information ready when you apply:
- Full legal name, Date of Birth, Social Security Number, Citizenship or Immigration Status for you and anyone in your household who is applying for health care coverage.
- Most recent federal tax filing information (if available).
- Job and income information for members of your household for the month prior or the current month. Having recent pay stubs or W-2s to reference may be helpful.
- Information about other taxable income for members of your household such as unemployment benefits, Social Security benefits, pensions, retirement income, rental income, alimony received, etc.
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
Note: You may be asked to verify your Citizenship or Immigration Status after you submit your application. We have included a list of acceptable [PDF] verification documents and an [PDF] eligible immigration status list.
Cover Virginia has introduced a new email address for members and applicants to send requested information: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can scan and upload, attach electronic copies, or take a picture of your information and attach it to the email. This email only receives information; you will not receive a response and it cannot be used to ask questions. Please call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 with questions. If additional information is needed, you will be sent another letter.
When you apply, you will be asked if you wish to give your permission (Consent to Share) allowing us to use the information you gave us on the application to create a User Profile for you. Your answer does not affect your eligibility for health care coverage. You can read and download the [PDF] Consent to Share document.
*You may need to print out additional single page supplement forms if applying for Medicaid, FAMIS or Plan First for more than two people in your household. The Additional Person Single Page Supplement is not a stand-alone application. You must also complete the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs and submit the Additional Person Single Page Supplement with the application.
When applying for Medicaid for adults over age 19 with disabilities, adults aged 65 or over, and for all people who need long term care services, you will need to fill out an ABD-LTC - Appendix D application as well as the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs.
Complete Appendix E if you applied for health care coverage for someone who is medically needy (has income greater than the Medicaid limit) and would like to be evaluated for a spenddown based on income, resources and medical expenses. Spenddown works like an insurance policy deductible. The amount of the “deductible” is called the “spenddown liability.” Once medical bills are incurred equal to or greater than the spenddown liability, the application is re-evaluated for Medicaid eligibility.
[PDF] APPENDIX E (Medically Needy Spenddown) to the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs (English)
[PDF] APPENDIX E (Medically Needy Spenddown) to the Application for Health Coverage and Help Paying Costs (Spanish)
Complete Appendix F if you applied for health care coverage for someone who needs help with everyday things like bathing, dressing, walking or using the bathroom to live safely in the home or if a doctor or nurse told them that they have a physical disability or long term disease, mental or emotional illness, or addiction problem.
For information about how to appeal a decision, visit the Appeals page.
Not Sure If You Qualify?
To find out if you may qualify for Medicaid, FAMIS or Plan First, answer the questions on the Screening Tool on the Am I Eligible? page.
If you need help with filling out your application, please click on the link to find an Application Assister in your area.
Federal Health Insurance Marketplace
The 2020 Open Enrollment period for the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace has ended. For more information about who qualifies during the Special Enrollment Period, including for Loss of Health Insurance, go to the Marketplace page on this website or visit www.healthcare.gov.
Download Acrobat Reader