Health coverage from Virginia Medicaid needs to be renewed each year. This is called an annual renewal. If your local department of social services has all of the information needed to complete your renewal, this process will be done automatically. You will receive a notice in the mail telling you if your coverage will continue for another year.
If your renewal cannot be completed automatically, you will receive a paper renewal form in the mail. This means you must take action to renew your health coverage.
Renewing online or by phone is faster and easier. You can renew your health coverage in the following ways:
- Online: Go to www.commonhelp.virginia.gov and click on "Renew My Benefits*."
- By phone: Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282/TTY: 1-888-221-1590; this call is free.
- By mail or in person: Complete the paper renewal form and return it to your local department of social services.
Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 if you have any questions.
*To create a CommonHelp Account:
- Go to www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
- Click "Check My Benefits"
- To link your case to your CommonHelp account, you will need your case number and your client ID number. These numbers are printed on the front of the paper renewal form you received in the mail. You can also call your local department of social services and ask for this information.